Firearms Restrictions Guns in Canada Hunting Canada.........

Northern Ontario Cottage RentalsRESTRICTIONS

Importation of the following goods into Canada is restricted. Make sure you have the information you require before attempting to import these items into Canada. Olive the Lake is not responsible for providing any such documentation - please refer to your local customs for the proper paperwork.


Aim for safetyCanada ’s firearms legislation helps make the country safer for both residents and visitors. Before you attempt to import a firearm or weapon, contact the Canada Firearms Centre for information.

You must declare all weapons and firearms at the CBSA port of entry or they will be seized and you may be subject to arrest.

As a visitor, you may temporarily import restricted firearms and non-restricted firearms, such as pistols or revolvers, provided you get Form CAFC 679

Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Firearms in advance from a chief firearms officer of the province or territory to which you are importing a restricted firearm.

The following requirements apply to the importation of firearms and weapons:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age

  • You can import non-restricted and restricted firearms, provided you meet all

  • You cannot import prohibited firearms, weapons or devices, including silencers, replica firearms, switchblades and other weapons.

As a seasonal resident, you may import restricted firearms but you must have a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence or a valid Firearms Acquisition Certificate, in addition to Form CAFC 679.

For more information on importing a firearm into Canada, ask for a copy of the publication called Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada or call the BIS line at one of the numbers listed in the section called “Additional information.”

For more information about applying for a Canadian firearms licence or Form CAFC 679, contact:

Canada Firearms Centre
Ottawa ON K1A 1M6
Telephone: 1-800-731-4000 (toll-free in Canada and the United States)
506-624-5380 (from all other countries)
Facsimile: 613-957-7325


1. All I want is a Possession Only Licence (P.O.L). Can I still get one?

You might qualify for a P.O.L Licence renewal (see form RCMP 6006) if you possessed a valid P.O.L which expired after January 1, 2004. Residents of Ontario should contact the Chief Firearms Office of Ontario to determine their eligibility for a P.O.L renewal, at: 1-800-731-4000 extension 7503.

2. How long is my Firearms Licence good for?
A Firearms Licence is valid for a period of five years, unless revoked. Each Firearms Licence has an expiry date on it.

3. Do I have to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) test if I only want to acquire restricted firearms?
Yes. In order to obtain a PAL for restricted firearms, you must successfully complete both the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) test and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) test.

4. Do I have to redo both the written and practical portions of the CFSC or the CRFSC test if I fail either the written or practical test?
Yes. The tests consist of both the written and practical components. You must achieve 80% or better on both in order to successfully complete the CFSC / CRFSC test. If an individual fails either the written or practical test, they must complete both again.

5. Do I have to take the course if I am unsuccessful in challenging the CFSC/CRFSC test?
No. The CFSC is only mandatory for Minors (under 18), and for those who have had a firearms prohibition. An individual may challenge the CFSC/CRFSC as many times as they wish. Instructors may, however, decline to conduct the test if they feel doing so might result in a risk to public safety.

6. How much time do I have to take the test after completing the CFSC/CRFSC course?
The test can be taken at any time following the completion of the course.

Aim for safety7. I've applied for a Firearms Licence and I received a letter from the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program asking for proof that I completed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course test. I completed a test when I received my Ontario Hunting Licence. Is this the test they are talking about?
No. The Hunter Education test is a provincial test for a provincial hunting licence. You are required to show proof of completion of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course test in order to get your Federal Firearms Licence.

8. I am a visitor to Canada. Do I need a Firearms Licence?
Yes. Starting January 1, 2001, non-residents are required to possess a Firearms Licence to import (restricted and non-restricted firearms) or to borrow (non-restricted firearms only), and to acquire ammunition. For individuals who bring their own firearms into Canada, a confirmed Non-Resident Firearm Declaration ( form JUS 909 EF ) will serve as a licence and registration for those firearms indicated on the JUS 909 EF Declaration Form.

Individuals who temporarily bring firearms to Canada must declare their firearms in writing using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form (form JUS 909 EF). Once a Customs Officer has confirmed the declaration and issued a confirmation number, the declaration form will serve as a licence and registration certificate, showing that the visitor is in legal possession of the firearm(s).

A confirmed declaration costs $25 Canadian, and is valid for up to 60 days.

9. As a visitor to Canada, can I borrow a firearm for use in Canada?
Visitors, whether adults or minors, do not need a licence to borrow a firearm if they only use it under the direct and immediate supervision of an adult who can lawfully possess that firearm and has a Canadian Firearms Licence. Contact the CFO of the province where you wish to use the firearm to determine the exact stipulations for this option.

Otherwise, visitors aged 18 and older need either a Temporary Firearms Borrowing Licence (for non-residents)(form JUS 715 EF) or a valid Canadian Firearms Licence that allows them to acquire firearms. A Non-Resident Temporary Borrowing Licence costs $30 Canadian. It can be renewed once if it is renewed before it expires. Any additional renewals will cost $30. A sponsor may apply on behalf of a non-resident for the Non-Resident temporary Borrowing Licence.

10. I am a non-resident, but want a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). How do I get a Possession and Acquisition Licence?
Non-residents can apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence. They must be 18 years of age or older; they must successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course/Test; and they must provide a letter or document from their local Police Service/Government which provides a completed NCIC check. Once they have the necessary documentation, they need to fill in an application, attach the documents, and send it to the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program.

11. Where can I get a Minors Licence application form?
Please call the Chief Firearms Office of Ontario:

12.How do I replace a lost, stolen or damaged registration certificate?You can contact the Chief Firearms Office of Ontario at 1-800-731-4000. Give them the information regarding the loss, theft or damage to your certificate. You will be required to complete a form which the CFO will process and a replacement certificate will be issued. There is a fee for this service. 13. The Firearms Registry law was repealed in April Aim for safety2012. What does this mean for me if I wish to obtain a firearm or currently own firearms?There is no longer a requirement for you to "register" your non-restricted firearm/s with the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program and have your personal information collected and stored in a firearms data base. You are still required however to register any restricted firearms. You are also still required to obtain a firearms licence to purchase, possess, own or borrow a firearm. The licence is called a P.A.L. To obtain your P.A.L .you must successfully pass a Canadian Firearms Safety Course and/or a Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course or challenge the exam to either course. To obtain additional information on Bill C19, the Act that repeals the firearms registry requirements of the Firearms Act please go to the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program website at

Testimonials Our Cottages Rates How to Fish Images

ontario bass fishing

bass fishing canada

Located in Marten River, Ontario - 4.5 Hours North of Toronto
1-705-892-2204 or or Request Info

Our Cottages The Area Hunting Fishing About Us
Fishing Images Weather Canada in the Rough Extreme Angler TV Contact Us at Olive
Cottage Rentals Marten River Hunting Ontario Fishing Ontario About Olive the Lake
Cottage Rates Temagami Bear Hunting Bass Fishing Lodge Testimonials
Cottage Sell Off's North Bay Moose Hunting Walleye Fishing Book Your Vacation
Tempur-Pedic Callander Bay Small Game Hunting Pike Fishing Things to Bring
Olive Experience New Liskeard Wolf Hunting Splake Fishing Map of Olive
Corporate Events   Duck/Goose Hunting Speckle Fishing Tips and Tricks